Thankful Thursday: Embracing the Holidays

Thursday has arrived! Thursday is always a relief because when it's over, we're just around the corner from Friday. Wednesday and Thursday are my busiest days of the week, so it is pretty exciting to almost over the hump.

This year, I admittedly jumped into the holiday spirit early. I blame it on the extra cold temps sent our way over the past few weeks and all of the amazing recipes I'm seeing pop up everywhere. AND the fact that we'll get to celebrate with a white Christmas this year back in the Midwest!

A Few Things I'm Thankful for Right Now:

Holiday Music - Yep, guilty as charged! Two weeks ago I innocently popped in the Michael Buble's Christmas album in my car and it all went down hill from there. Once I listened to a few of my favorites, I was pretty much fine with listening to anything and everything Christmas. Sorry, I'm not sorry.

Candles - This vanilla snowflake candle from Bath & Body Works makes the house smell so good. Last year I got a peppermint one that I also loved, so I picked up a new one last week. It's amazing how a good smell can make you happier.


Turkey Day 5K - It's the little things like running a 5K on Thanksgiving morning that get me excited. The manfriend and I are signed up for the local Turkey Stuffer, so I guess he better start training! I haven't been doing much speed training, so I'll just be running for fun, but I'm already looking forward to it.

Layering up - Now that I'm able to be a bit more casual with my daily outfits, I am embracing layers and feeling comfortable, while still feeling put together. With the colder temperatures, it's been nice to throw on a puffy vest and scarf to stay warm.


Trader Joe's Treats - I found these last weekend at Trader Joe's and put them right in my basket. These are a mini version of the mint dark chocolate covered cookies they used to make. I actually prefer the minis because you can have just a few more. A few other things I'm looking forward to are the spiced apple cider and the candy cane Joe-Joe's.


Thanksgiving Thoughts
I'm starting to think about a few recipes I'd like to make for Thanksgiving - either for one of our family gatherings or just for the manfriend and I to enjoy.

One thing I'm making for sure is Oh She Glows' Sweet Potato Casserole. I love sweet potatoes, but I am not a fan of the candied yams that people do with tons of marshmallows or brown sugar and syrup many recipes call for. I'm especially excited for the crunch nut crumble on top! Angela has put together several other amazing vegan Thanksgiving spreads that put most people's tables to shame. Someday, I will make a Thanksgiving meal from top to bottom.

*I'm particularly fond of her Hockey Nuts recipe that is perfect for a party or giving to a friend or family member as a gift.

How is your week going? Do you have any Thanksgiving recipes to share that you'll be whipping up? Is anyone else running a turkey trot? 

Comments

My week has felt like it has crawled by so I am so happy that tomorrow is Friday!!! I am excited for Thanksgiving but haven't shifted into the Christmas spirit yet, and won't until Thanksgiving has passed. But I have bought most of my Christmas gifts!

I am not sure what I will bring to TG yet. I will do some sort of side dish, maybe something with brussel sprouts or a carrot soup? Or i saw a recipe for a salad made from shaved carrots with a pomegranate molasses dressing that sounded awesome. I'll be in the middle of nowhere, so no Turkey trot for me. The high that day is 12 so I probably won't even run outside but I will do a some sort of tabata workout! Maybe 2 to justify all the calories I'll consume!
Amber said…
I am excited for the holiday season - it doesn't really feel like the end of November because we still don't have any snow, which is crazy for us, but I think once we put up our tree and decorations this weekend I will feel more in the Christmas spirit!
I am excited for the holidays, but am not really ready for them! I am going to my parents house this weekend and will probably put on a Christmas movie, just because I will not really have a chance to do it as much at my house. I have not bought any gifts yet, but usually just do most of it online, so will probably see how the cyber deals are before making my final decisions.
Vanessa said…
I've been resisting the holiday music, but I think I'm going to have to cave soon, throw some on, and decorate my apartment. For some reason I'm extra excited for the holiday season this year!

Popular Posts